Here are is all the gear and items I keep in my every day camera bag:
What's in the bag?
- My one and only body, my Canon 5d mark ii. It's an old body that isn't really sold anymore but it still works great and its such an amazing camera.
- I always have my Canon 50mm 1.4. It is by far my favorite lens. It is lightweight, has great focus and I've been using it for years so I am very comfortable with it.
- My newest baby, my Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L. For years, I avoided any zoom lens but after reading reviews and renting it, I fell in love. It is crisp, easy to use, has good focus and allows me to get close without having to get too near my subject.
- For years, I shot without a flash but the more weddings I shot, the more I knew I needed it. A few months ago I picked up the Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT and I've really liked it. It's easy to use and hasn't misfired on me yet. It's fast and reliable but I really would like to get a battery pack for it. That's really it as far as equipment goes.
- Extra batteries! I cannot express how important it is to carry extra batteries. I always carry at least one extra camera battery, I make sure my flash batteries are fully charged before I leave and I like to carry a little external phone charger. I've liked the Jakery Mini Phone Charger. Its lightweight and gives me about a full charge and a half. It’s so useful when I’m low and need to navigate to a new location.
- Wires - Carrying extra USB wires to transfer or dump content in between shoots, extra charger cables, and a USB wire for my external hard drive. Carrying these is always a lifesaver!
- External Hard drive - I almost always like to carry my external hard drive with me. I never know when I will need to transfer content or send images to a client.
- Extra Memory Cards - I cannot stress enough how important it is to carry extra memory cards. On an everyday shoot, my 32GB card is more than enough but sometimes, I may have a wedding that I'm still editing on my card or something like that so I carry an extra 16GB and a 4GB just in case.
- Personal Items - My wallet, a lipstick, a pencil, mints for myself and my clients and a water bottle. Each of these items has come in handy in almost every one of my shoots. A lipstick can come in handy not only for me but if my client needs a touch up or a quick cheek tint! Mints always save the day... I don't think I need to explain. ha! Finally, a water bottle. There have been so many times when I'm shooting for a few hours in the middle of nowhere or even worse, in the middle of Central Park where a water bottle can sometimes be $4! Bringing my own is always better.
All of these fit comfortably in my Chelsea Camera Bag. It gets a little heavy but not nearly as heavy as my Wedding Day camera bag get up!
I'd love to hear some of your every day camera bag items!